Nagafen's Lair - Post Mercenary Leveling Guide
Another alternative to City of Mist is Nagafen's Lair which is more commonly known as SolB. If you zone in from Lavastorm Mountains you'll find tons of kobolds to kill, each of them usually dropping a couple plat with each kill. If you're in the high 30s or low 40s I recommend you hang around the Lavastorm Mountains ZL in SolB.
Once you start to level up some you'll want to start trying to push your way deeper into the zone. The further south or west you go the harder the enemies will start to become. South you'll find spiders, bats and beetles which are all harder than the kobolds but don't drop as much plat per kill as the kobolds do.
Further west you'll find elementals which do drop plat but they don't have the same valuable vendor drops that the kobolds do. After you cross the three rocks which are in the lava river you'll find yourself in the elemental area which is mostly for players 45+. The elementals go all the way back to Efreeti Lord Djarn - arguably the most famous named camp in Classic.
In the other direction to the south you'll find the named enemies Noxious Spider as well as Stone Spider mixed in with other higher level insects and bats. Don't go too much further south than the insects though as you'll hit Fire Giants which come in really large pulls and have a TON of HP compared to everything else in the zone.
Once you gain a few levels and feel comfortable taking some risks move down a bit south towards where you see Noxious Spider on the map. You won't be fighting as many kobolds the further south you go instead you'll start fighting different bugs and animals.
- You can reach Nagafen's Lair by traveling through Nektulos Forest and then Lavastorm Mountains.
- This zone gets revamped during Hardcore Heritage which occurs during spring/summer. During that time this zone won't be your level.
- This zone has one of the main classic EQ raid bosses in it, Lord Nagafen.
- If you're having trouble managing your Inventory Space I highly recommend you invest in some Extraplanar Trade Satchels which are 32 Slot Tradeskill Bags. Alternatively you could also buy Unexpanded Tailored Backpacks as well. Though, the Backpacks will likely be more expensive. Follow the links provided to learn more about each item.
- If you need more plat while leveling I strongly recommend you check out my How to make more plat while leveling by Bartering Guide. It'll give you a list of all the different items you should be keeping an eye out for to Barter/Sell!
Nagafen's Lair Original Almar's EQ Leveling Guide
This guide may contain errors or inaccuracies since the game has changed a lot since I wrote it.
It also contains a lot of information not found on this page about the zone and the mobs in it.