Rain of Fear Smithing Guide
Smithing in Everquest is used for crafting gear for plate and chain users throughout the game. Modern day it's mostly used for crafting basic Prestige gear when they raise the level cap. It has some better rewards here and there but overall.... meh. The route I have chosen for leveling Smithing may not be too costly depending on your server.
I also strongly recommend that you consider using a Draught of the Craftsman for this process. It's a potion you can purchase from the Daybreak store that gives you a 100% chance to return all failed Tradeskill components back to you. This will greatly reduce the overall cost of leveling the Tradeskill.
Before you go gung ho and start Smithing up a storm - I recommend you stop at 50 - 99 Smithing and complete the Smithing Trophy Quest if you plan to take this Tradeskill stuff seriously! It isn't required you do it now but it'll save you mucho time later on if you take some time to finish it in the early levels of your Tradeskill.
Alternative Route: If Tungsten Ore, Rhenium Ore and Indium Ore is cheaper on your server check out my DoN Smithing Guide for an alternative route.
Scorched Studs 1 - 282
You can save these for a later use (if you ever do need them) try to sell them in The Bazaar or just vendor them. I've found Scorched Ore doesn't sell for much in The Bazaar so this actually shouldn't be too expensive.
1 Scorched Ore
Palladium Studs 1 - 282
This is an alternative route for you if the Scorched Ore is too expensive or there's currently none up for sale.
1 Palladium Ore
Scorched Chain Bracer Template 282 - 300
You can do Plate or Chain it really doesn't matter but always choose the Bracer Template because it generally requires the least amount of materials out of all the other armor pieces. Much like with the Scorched Studs you'll just want to vendor these.
1 Scorched Ore
Palladium Chain Bracer Template 282 - 300
Much like with the Studs above, you can follow this route if the Scorched Ore is too expensive or not listed in The Bazaar.
1 Palladium Ore
- If you choose to use a Draught of the Craftsman you'll have enough juice to max out two Tradeskills usually. So come prepared with a lot of materials before popping a pot!
- Scorched Ore is added in during Rain of Fear. Palladium Ore was added in during Veils of Alaris so if you're playing on a Progression Server this guide will be useful for both expansions.
- If you don't see any materials that you need listed in The Bazaar setup a Buyer on a day when you don't plan on playing much to buy the items you need. Mention in general chat what you're buying (and even pay double what the other barters ask to get peoples attention if you want). Maybe someone who is killing in the zones and reading general will offload their loot to you.
- Aside from the uses mentioned above it's useful for every player to max out all of their Tradeskills for tangible useful benefits. You can only acquire things like Artisan's Prize and Sacred Prayer Shawl of the Duke from maxing out your Tradeskills. Those of you whom are wondering if this is all even worth it, well now you know.
- Under "General" in the AA window get the Salvage AA as soon as you possibly can, preferably before you start raising all of your Tradeskills. It'll save you a lot of plat.
- As aforementioned every Tradeskill has a Trophy. Here is a list of all 6 quests for the Smithing Trophy.