Omens of War Smithing Guide
Smithing - the Tradeskill of subcombines! You should expect more subcombines when leveling up Smithing than really any other Tradeskill - you should also expect a lot of different Tradeskills to require a utensil that's made through Smithing.
Once the Gates of Discord expansion pack goes live there's an alternative method to raising every Tradeskill in the game to 54. I believe these quests to be a waste of time, however, they teach you recipes that can't be learned anywhere else and for that reason must be done at least once to reach 350 Smithing. If you're interested in learning more about the GoD Tradeskill Quests then follow the link provided.
Smithing 1 - 21
Visit the trainer and use your practice's to raise your skill to 21.
(Direct Route) Steel Boning 21 - 37
Save the Steel Boning to use in other Tradeskills. If you're not raising other Tradeskills then try to sell it to players that are.
(Direct Route) Large Lantern 37 - 68
Every item in this combine can be purchased from a vendor except for the Metal Bits. They need to be crafted via a Smithing recipe. Vendor all of the Large Lanterns you make for some of your money back.
(Direct Route) Banded Armor 68 - 95
For Banded Armor you will want to make whatever size mold your race has access too. For example the small races will be making Small Banded armor, the medium will be making Banded armor and the large races will be making Large Banded armor.
(Using Banded Boots as an example of materials)
(Direct Route) Ornate Armor 95 - 122
Same rule that applies to Banded gear applies to the Ornate gear. Whatever mold your race has access to, use that one.
(Using Large Ornate Chain Boots as an example of materials)
(Alternative) Fine Plate Visor 122 - 163
Start off with this piece of Fine plate if you don't want to fail as much and make the most out of vendoring the gear back for some money back.
(Direct Route) Fine Plate Gauntlets 122 - 175
(Alternative) Cultural Sewing Kit 122 - 162
(Vale Sewing Kit Materials as an example) Make whatever you race's Cultural Sewing Kit is. An Important note, the combine to create the sewing kit MUST be in your race's cultural forge in your home town.
(Direct Route) Fine Steel Breastplate 162 - 188
(Using the Small Fine Steel Breastplate as an example of materials)
(Direct Route) Enchanted Velium Bits 150 - 220
This is one of the easiest routes you can use to level up your Smithing. Everything can be purchased from a vendor except the Small Piece of Velium which you'll have to farm up on your own. The only downside to raising Smithing via Enchanted Velium Bits is that you can't sell what you make.
(Direct Route) Shadowscream Steel Gloves 200 - 262
(Direct Route) Shadowscream Steel Cloak 200 - 267
- If you choose to use a Draught of the Craftsman you'll have enough juice to max out two Tradeskills usually. So come prepared with a lot of materials before popping a pot!
- If you don't see any materials that you need listed in The Bazaar setup a Buyer on a day when you don't plan on playing much to buy the items you need. Mention in general chat what you're buying (and even pay double what the other barters ask to get peoples attention if you want). Maybe someone who is killing in the zones and reading general will offload their loot to you.
- Aside from the uses mentioned above it's useful for every player to max out all of their Tradeskills for tangible useful benefits. You can only acquire things like Artisan's Prize and Sacred Prayer Shawl of the Duke from maxing out your Tradeskills. Those of you whom are wondering if this is all even worth it, well now you know.
- Under "General" in the AA window get the Salvage AA as soon as you possibly can, preferably before you start raising all of your Tradeskills. It'll save you a lot of plat.
- Every Tradeskill gets an item called a Tradeskill Trophy introduced in the Prophecy of Ro expansion pack. If you'd like to learn more about them prior their introduction then follow the link provided. Here is a list of all 6 quests for the Smithing Trophy.